Social Signals are determined by your pages amount of likes, shares, and general visibility on social media as it relates to search engines. All of these type of social media activities contribute to your pages organic search ranking and are seen kinda like a citation in relation to visibility.
You social media channels are more than just a place to put up sales and pics. It is more than a messaging channel. Social media directly impacts your SEO or search ranking and it is more important than ever to have a high value, well thought out social media strategy that focuses on getting your information out there frequently.
Social signals and SEO
A search engine’s chief aim is to provide high-quality, relevant content to users. Search engines gauge quality in large part by how frequently a URL is seen throughout the web, and as more web communication has moved to social media, Google and other search providers have integrated social signals as a ranking signal.
Google’s partnership with Twitter, which added tweets to search results, is further evidence of the growing significance of social media in search rankings. Relevant social signals include:
- Number of tweets and retweets, and the popularity (followers) of the people tweeting
- Facebook shares
- Google +1s.
- Mentions on community sites like Reddit, StumbleUpon and Tumblr also have an increased impact on SERP, according to Search Engine Journal.
Just like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and other social media channels make important contributions to search engine relevance. The more you site is talked about on social, the more people mention it and interact with it across all the social channels, the more important and more valuable search engines will rate your site and content.
Increased social signals indicate good domain authority and demonstrate a URL’s value. When large numbers of users share and like a page, it indicates that the page is genuine and contains substantive or entertaining content. Search engines can sometimes lag behind the lightning fast trends inherent in the social media universe, so tapping into that pulse is important.
Increasing social signals
Because of the amount of time people spend on social media, these types of signals are as important as people spending time on your pages. The more time people are interacting with your brand, the more you will get SEO boosts.
For businesses looking to raise their search rankings, it indicates that a comprehensive social media strategy might be in order – in addition to all of the usual SEO tactics. In other words, strategies designed to increase your social media growth and engagement can also raise your website’s search engine ranking.
The Real Social Company has always said that content it key. It should be Valuable, entertaining or informative content that will always gain a more positive interaction than blatant or spammy advertising. Some tried and true strategies for turning up the volume on your social signals are:
- Post daily: Keep your brand at the top of the social feeds.
- Use images: Images greatly increase interaction rates for all social media types.
- Use Video Even More: Video kills static images by 5 fold.
- Listen: Hear what people are saying about your brand and respond to critique in a constructive and positive way.
- Monitor: There are several free social media marketing apps which track shares, re-tweets, likes and keywords associated with your brand.
- Contests: contests and giveaways are a great way to increase interest in your brand.
- Partnerships: Share links and produce original content with other popular brands.
- Cover all the social media bases: Produce content for all of the top social media sites.
Social signals are yet another metric in the already complex and mysterious field of SEO. Do you often wonder why a competitor keeps beating you in search? It is probably because they have a more thought out Social Media Management program that INCLUDES social signals.